Getting Married in the Cayman Islands
I know from personal experience that until you have lived on a Caribbean Island in the middle of the ocean you don’t realize that things are not like the City. Having access to all the main land perks are not always available. If you need something there are times it can take months to arrive and going to the grocery store without running into someone you know is impossible. These can be some of the perks and some of the tribulations of being secluded on an island.
I can also tell you from personal experience that being surrounded by the bluest ocean you have ever seen, walking in the white sand beaches, shading yourself under the palm trees and watching the most memorable sunsets ever make it all worth it. I cannot imagine a more beautiful place to live let alone get married. Cayman is somewhere that can guarantee no matter what you are celebrating it will be amazing.
A few FAQ’s about Cayman and getting married on this beautiful island:
- The minimum age to get married in the Cayman Islands is 16; however, anyone under 18 must have the consent of a parent or guardian.
- Weddings must take place between the hours of 6am and 8pm. Wedding are possible on Sunday however be aware of restrictions and extra costs.
- According to liquor licensing laws, if you get married on a Sunday (on a liquor-licensed premise), then no live music can be played.
- Civil unions between two men or two women are not legal in the Cayman Islands at the present time.
- The grocery stores and liquor stores are not open on Sundays.
- Everything must be closed by 12am on Saturday night.
- You do not have access to all the products you have at home, especially make up, clothes etc so come prepared with your personal favorites.
- We do not currently have proper recycling and composting facilities on the island so please watch your waste responsibly.
- Things can run on island time so be prepared for things taking longer than expected. This is where it is great to work with someone has the inside scoop so they can help you acquire what you need.
- Getting married on a public beach does not mean that the public is not able to be around if they choose. We do our absolute best and try to make sure eventing is private however these are public spaces.
- The weather can be unpredictable in the tropics so always be prepared with a backup plan.
- Most places accept US and CI dollars as well as all major credit cards however it is smart to have some CI cash on hand at all times.
- There is a 15% gratuity already included with most restaurants. It is still kind practice to tip additional on deserved service however we aware of the percentage already included.
- Cayman is tax free island.. woo hoo, However if you take a trip to the hospital it is not cheap so insurance is a great idea 🙂
These are just a few of the little facts that you should be aware of when planning an event, wedding or vacation in Cayman. We look forward to sharing more details and information about the island as we get to know you and plan your special day. Always fun to share with people the quirks and blessings of this beautiful island oasis.